Thursday 30 April 2015

Final collection coming together,just need to work on embroidery techniques.

Dissertation nearly finished and then I can concentrate on my other work.

Inspiration;

Mental health patients in the early nineteenth century and the institutions such as West Riding Pauper and Lunatic Asylum have inspired my final collection.
I have been analyzing samplers embroidered by a former patient as part of my research for dissertation.
I wanted to find out more about how people were cast and the moral treatments and remedies used to treat mental illness.
It has been a fascinating topic and I have learnt so much about mental illness treatments and the poor squalid conditions in the eighteenth century through to the late nineteenth century when medical procedures and combined therapies where used.   


 

No comments:

Post a Comment